Monday, January 7, 2013

Race Report! Run for Marilou

This past weekend my brother and I were able to borrow my mom's SUV (thanks Mom!) and we headed out to Tantallon to run the second annual Run for Marilou at the Bike and Bean Cafe and Trail. If you haven't visited the Bike and Bean I would highly recommend it as a wonderful cafe to spend an hour or two reading and cosying up to a cup of coffee on a weekend morning. Just outside this former train station is a beautiful tree-lined trail, part of the old railway that used to exist here.
We managed to find a parking spot and after dropping off our food donation (the entry fee), we were set to go. My brother was wearing his trusty VFFs, which I eyed dubiously as we stepped into ankle deep snow. He assured me he was fine. After a minute or two the group was off and running. Both Josh and I had spent next to no time running on snow packed trail this year so we both found our footing a bit challenging in the ATV tire tracks. Still we hung with the lead group for the first quarter then dropped back a bit. Josh was his usual self at a race, telling jokes with anyone and everyone. He had everyone around us cracking up as he made fun of garmins, running apps and the dogs that were passing us. We couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day with the sun shining, the temperature just above zero and a very flat trail route. Josh managed just fine in his VFFs, one of the other runners even let him know where he could find a pair of wool toe socks for them :-)
We finished our first race of 2013 in a rather slow 1:10. At least this gives me a benchmark to improve upon until my next 10k trail race!

No comments: