Monday, November 15, 2010

Let the Training Begin!

Today I start training for the annual Hypothermic Half Marathon in February. I've decided to go with Runner's World's Smart Coach program. Besides begin free and easy to use and customize, I think the mileage build up is perfect for where I am at right now with my minimalist/barefoot running.
Last week I ran a total of 40kms, with 20kms of that being done totally barefoot. So finally, I've reached that 50/50 barefoot/minimalist shoe ratio I've been aiming for. I hope to keep that ratio until the spring when the streets and weather in general are a bit warmer and I can handle going outside barefoot.
But, for now, and really until May, I'll be going between my VFFs and barefoot runs (on the treadmill and indoor track). Today's schedule has me running just 6kms at a 7:06 per/km pace. I've got a whole hour to do it, so that shouldn't be an issue. I've programmed my Garmin to do 7 min./per km for 6 rotations, with 1 minute rest intervals.
The big question though is where the race will be held. I know, I know, "You signed up for a race that doesn't have a route?" Well, the race has been traditionally held between a local park and the waterfront area of Halifax, but in the past year a new market has taken up residence right smack in the middle of the route so the race directors have had to change the route and they haven't quite figured out where exactly yet. The two options they appear to be considering are the BLT trail and the Cow Bay/Shubie Trail area. I would love it if the race was held in the Cow Bay area, since that's just down the road from where I live and I'm much more familiar with the terrain. Hopefully they will decide soon so if I need to make a few training trips out to the BLT trail I'll have time to do so.
Either way though, me and my purple VFFs will be making an appearance and I'll be going for a PB of 2:10. Let the training begin!

No comments: