Friday, March 15, 2013

Asic Gel-Kahana Review-Part 2

I've been out on three runs, totaling 14 miles in my new Asic Gel-Kahanas. I had forgotten a runner needs to break in regular running shoes. Those 14 miles have been sloow but cushy. Okay, so here's what I've learned from my Kahanas so far:

DON'T:
  • expect these to be a barefoot-friendly shoe. Not. At. All. I forgot my socks on my second run and once I put the insoles back in the shoes I thought I'd be fine. Two huge blisters on the arches of both feet showed me these shoes prefer a sock.

Blisters suck
  • assume that because the trend is toward making lighter running shoes that these will be too. They are pretty heavy, compared with the minimalist runners I've been using for the past 3 years. I keep telling myself that these will be great once I have actual technical terrain I have to cover but on the roads these feel like clunky and heavy.
  • expect to run with the same gait as with minimalist runners. I've kicked myself in the leg more times than I can count wearing these shoes. Apparently I have a narrow gait, which is good information to know, now if I could just widen my stance a bit maybe I can save my calves.
DO:
  • expect these shoes to go the distance. They hold up really well to different terrain, and I've run on everything; dirt road, muddy hills, indoor cushioned track, concrete, pavement, crushed gravel, snow, and ice. Nothing has been an issue, these running shoes can take whatever a runner throws at them and grip it all nicely.
Serious Treads!

  • assume there will be some "break in" time. That of course depends on the runner and the type of shoe they typically run in.
  • enjoy the cushion! It has been really refreshing not to stub a toe or get a stabbing shot of pain when I step on something really sharp. I've realized I don't need to pay as much attention to where I'm stepping with these shoes since they just roll over everything. 
So in the end I would give these running shoes a 3.5 out of 5 stars. I'm taking a full point off for the weight, they are pretty heavy, and a half point for not being barefoot friendly. Removing the insole helps but doesn't completely cure the seam issue along the sides of the shoes.
What do you think? Have you tried these shoes and loved them? Hate them? Let me know!
Enjoy your Saint Paddy's Day weekend everyone. I'll have a Moose 25km Run Race Report for you all next week-my favorite race in Eastern Passage/Cow Bay NS!

No comments: